PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED
We may collect Personal Information about you from the following sources:
- Information we receive from you on applications or other forms, such as your name, address, social security number, tax identification, asset information and income information;
- Information we receive from you through our internet websites, such as your name, address, email address, Internet Protocol address, the website links you used to get to our websites, and your activity while using or reviewing our websites;
- Information about your transactions with or services performed by us, our affiliates, or others, such as information concerning your policy, premiums, payment history, information about your home or other real property, information from lenders and other third parties involved in such transaction, account balances, and credit card information; and
- Information we receive from consumer or other reporting agencies and publicly recorded documents.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We may provide your Personal Information (excluding information we receive from consumer or other credit reporting agencies) to various individuals and companies as permitted by law, without obtaining your prior authorization. Such laws do not allow consumers to restrict these disclosures.
Disclosures may include, without limitation, the following:
- To insurance agents, brokers, representatives, support organizations, or others to provide you with services you have requested, and to enable us to detect or prevent criminal activity, fraud, material misrepresentation, or nondisclosure in connection with an insurance transaction;
- To third-party contractors or service providers for the purpose of determining your eligibility for an insurance benefit or payment and/or providing you with services you have requested;
- To an insurance regulatory authority, or a law enforcement or other governmental authority, in a civil action, in connection with a subpoena or a governmental investigation;
- To lenders, lien holders, judgment creditors, or other parties claiming an encumbrance or an interest in title whose claim or interest must be determined, settled, paid or released prior to a title or escrow closing.
We may also disclose your Personal Information to others when we believe, in good faith, that such disclosure is responsibly necessary to comply with the law or to protect the safety of our customers, employees, or property and/or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order or legal process.
Disclosure to Affiliated Companies – We are permitted by law to share your name, address, and facts about your transaction with other GIT companies, such as insurance companies, agents, and other real estate service providers to provide you with services you have requested, for marketing or product development research, or to market products or services to you. We do not, however, disclose information we collect from consumer credit reporting agencies with our affiliates or with others without your consent, in conformity with applicable law, unless such disclosure is otherwise permitted by law.
Disclosure to Nonaffiliated Third Parties – We do not disclose Personal Information about our customers or former customers to nonaffiliated third parties, except as outlined herein or as otherwise permitted by law.
Confidentiality and Security of Personal Information – We restrict access to Personal Information about you to those employees who need to know that information to provide products or services to you. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with federal regulations to guard Personal Information.
Access to Personal Information/Requests for Correction, Amendment, or Deletion of Personal Information
As required by applicable law, we will afford you the right to access your Personal Information, under certain circumstances to find out to whom your Personal Information has been disclosed, and request correction or deletion of your Personal Information. However, GIT’s current policy is to maintain customers’ Personal Information for no less than your state’s required record retention requirements for the purpose of handling future coverage claims.
For your protection, all requests made under this section must be in writing and must include your notarized signature to establish your identity. Where permitted by law, we may charge a reasonable fee to cover the costs incurred in responding to such requests. Please send requests to:
Chief Privacy Officer
Greater Illinois Title Company, Inc.
120 North LaSalle Street, Suite 900
Chicago, IL 60602
Branded or Co-Sponsored Websites – If you provide Personal Information to us through a co-branded or co-sponsored website, you may be providing such information to the co-sponsor as well. In that event, we will make reasonable efforts to provide notice to you at the time you provide the information and you can decide whether you wish to do so. If you do submit such information, we will not be responsible for the use of the information you submit to the co-sponsor.
Links to Other Websites – Our websites may contain links to websites that are provided and maintained by third parties and that are not subject to this Privacy Statement. Please review the privacy statements on those websites. We make no representations concerning and are not responsible for any such third party websites or their privacy policies or practices.
Cookies – Our websites may use ‘cookies” or similar technologies to improve our service to you. Our cookies do not collect your Personal Information.
Changes to this Privacy Statement – This Privacy Statement may be amended from time to time consistent with applicable privacy laws. When we amend this Privacy Statement, we will post a notice of such changes on our website. The effective date of this Privacy Statement, as stated above, indicates the last time this Privacy Statement was revised or materially changed.